Thursday 15 May 2014

HER HAIR...

Long, luxurious and coffee-brown

It flowed down her neck

Wavy down to its last strand

It shimmered in the morning sun

As she hugged me, I kissed her neck

And inhaled deeply

The fragrance of exotic oils


I held it in my hands

Soft in texture, firm in consistency

I pulled a little

She squirmed

Then she laughed 

I played with it, made ponytails

Rolled the ends into a bob


I gathered it together

Fertile, brown, rich gift

Hers grow very fast and lush

It scintillates, it mesmerises

Many girls pay exorbitantly to have a taste

Of the magic inherent within


She sat in front of the mirror

I was standing behind her

'Do it,'she said, smiling

I took one glance at the treasure

Littered on the crown of her head

Then measuring off lengths with my tape

I cut


In the living room, two eager ladies

Paid for the packets she handed them

It was her hair

Now it is theirs

She smiled as she counted the money

It was enough for tuition and rent


Her new look radiated youth

She bubbled with energy as she walked

Her facial features were more prominent

And her hourglass shape stood out

I fell in love with her new hair

Short, curly and coffee-brown

Yielding obediently to the comb

Growing at the speed of light


©Kelvin Alaneme, 2014. Follow on Twitter @dr_alams.


4 comments:

alexemeka said...

Natural

Nwamaka Onyekachi said...

Aww... I love this! Why do I have the feeling that this poem is for me? LOL.
More grace Kelv.

I'm on amakamedia.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

A million thanks Amaka.
I probably wrote it for you.
Your blog is so beautiful! Great work.
+Stay Blessed!

Unknown said...

Daalu.